These treats are great at any time of the year but they’re perfect as a Christmas treat as they contain the classic Christmas ingredients: turkey and cranberries and, for me, Christmas just isn’t Christmas without turkey and cranberries!!
They’re so easy to make using fresh ingredients or leftovers which is another great reason to make them in-between everything else you need to over the festive season.
Why Are Turkey, Cranberries and Sweet Potato So Good For Your Dog?
Turkey is a rich source of protein, low in fat and a good source of iron, zinc, potassium and phosphorus.
Cranberries are a good source of vitamin C, fibre and vitamin E. They are rich in phyto-nutrients (naturally derived plant compounds) which are essential for all-round wellness. Cranberries are also an excellent supplement to your dog’s diet for their urinary tract health.
Sweet Potato is rich in fibre and contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, beta carotene, and manganese. The high amount of fibre in sweet potato means that it fills a dog up and helps correct and prevent constipation.
Makes approximately 18-20 6.5 x 2 x 1.7cm bone shaped biscuits
- 150 grams Turkey (raw or cooked)
- 1 Small Sweet Potato
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 165 grams Whole Wheat Flour
- 100 grams Cranberries
Preheat oven to 180ºC.
Lightly grease a baking tray. Set aside.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15-20 minutes
1. Peel and dice sweet potato
2. Boil potato until it’s soft and mash
3. Blitz cranberries, honey and cinnamon in a food processor or with an electric whisk.
4. If using raw turkey, cook it by grilling, frying or baking
5. Mix flour, mash potato, cranberry sauce and turkey together
6. If it’s a little dry, add a tiny bit of water
Tip: If you don’t fully puree the cranberries, they will burst when the mixture is rolled out so try not to add too much water as the mixture will become very sticky.
7. Once the dough is ready, place on a well floured surface and form into a ball
8. Roll out the dough so it’s a 1/2 inch thick.
9. Using a cookie cutter, cut out treats and place onto a baking tray
10. Bake treats 18-20 minutes until nicely browned. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. To keep them fresh for longer, store in the fridge. They can also be frozen.